Powered By Blogger

Thursday 1 December 2011

DHALUCHA


Well the literal meaning of "Dhalucha" means a hanging lamp (I think!!). People still have it on their balcony especially in the "Newar" community to light lamp while praying to god. It can be made of metal or clay, however the ones made from metal have more define carvings in it and is very artistic.
I love seeing "Dhalucha"on peoples houses as it brings back the memories of my own maternal background. I remember my maternal grandma rising early in the morning and praying to gods, coming to balcony and lighting the lamp and chanting prayers. Though it is used for prayers on regular basis it is most important during the period of "Indra Jatra". It is said that on the next day of the " Indra Jatra" it is essential to light the lamp before having the "Newari "ethnic "Bhoj" "Samyabaji".It is only after praying and lighting lamp that all the members start to eat their "Bhoj".

No comments:

Post a Comment