Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 December 2011

CHULESI

I dont know if many of you still used it but back home in Kathmandu I still do!!!! I think it is still the best tool to cut vegetables (but only if you are old and careful enough to use this tool.) Because, I have by far, most of the time cut my fingers running through it!! It is very sharp and interesting to use as well.

To put it into picture it resembles like the number "2" with less curve on the top. the base is the place where you can either keep your feet or leg (i.e if you are sitting on the ground) and the top part is the sharp area which works as a standing knife. You slide down the vegetables and fruit you need to chop and TADA!!! by the time it reaches down it is cut into desired pieces. People also use it to peel vegetables with ease in villages but I find it quiet risky as I am used to using a peeler for this purpose and also it takes longer as you have to be extra cautious.

5 comments:

  1. Nice one! Almost every house in Nepal use chulesi and mostly being used for cutting meat haha.
    But I've always wondered what it is called in English!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Known as a bhoti in parts of India - same use, but different shape (more like an upturned billhook) - also spelled 'culesi' - I'd love to get hold of one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Known as a bhoti in parts of India - same use, but different shape (more like an upturned billhook) - also spelled 'culesi' - I'd love to get hold of one...

    ReplyDelete